Monday, March 16, 2009

Wikis

Wikis - Their use by the library world are many and varied, I can see that. One use is for training staff. I've seen wikis where there are modules set up for staff to follow and they can add comments and new sections to the whole - this is useful and gets over the "re-inventing the wheel" concept. If someone has already put together some information they can post it to share. It also allows all to take part rather than one person.
Once a wiki is up and running though I think it all comes down to how it is marketed and publicised. If this does not happen effectively the wiki could run out of steam so to speak.
Also there may be people in a community who would like to contribute but may not have access to technology or basic skills.
Sandbox - I looked at the PBWiki Learning2.0 wiki and found a rather dull listing of what people like and don't like. The words "play" and "adventure" were promised here but I think I would have more fun in a real sandbox!

No comments: